SADDLE HILL (2821ft.). Akaroa harbour, near Wainui.
SADDLE HILL. A postal and farming district on a hill above the Taieri Plain; in Taieri County; 10 miles south-west from Dunedin. Best approach is to Mosgiel by rail, then one mile walk. Cyclists have a good road, but hilly. No hotel. There are coal pits and creamery here. Saddle Hill was named by Captain Cook on February 25. 1770. It was the tec'ond place he gave a name to after leaving Bank's Peninsula. He immed Cape Saiinders, and remarked in his log "There is, about three or four leagues to the south-west of it, and very near the shore, a remarkable Saddle Hill." The name of the pommel of Saddle Hill is Makamaka (a shrub). The altitude of Saddle Hill is 1563ft above sea level. The other peak of Saddle. Hill. is Piki-wara. A place a little south of Saddle Hill was named Papa-kaio (the flat of the shrub). Doctor at Mosgiel. 1 m.
SAIES, Auckland. 141 miles by uteamer from Auckland (Wednesday, 47s 6d return).Whangaroa County. Until lately part of Totara. Post, telephone, and money order office. Named after Mr W. H. Saies, first postmaster of the place. Nearest doctor Kaeo. 8 m.
SAIL POINT. See Tikinui.
SAIL ROCK. South of Hen Island. Bream Bay.
SAIL ROCKS. East head. Okain's Bay.
ST. ALBANS. A residential suburb of Greater Christchurch, which see.
ST. ANDREW, Auckland. The old name for Kennedy's Bay. see.
ST. ANDREWS. Two miles from Pareora River and 10 miles south-west by rail from Timaru; in Waimate County; post, telegraph, and money order office. The centre of a good farming and sheep-rearing district. There is good trout fishing in Pareora River ; good hare and duck ihooting in season. Cycling roads very level and in fair condition. Hotel boarding only. Named after Mr Andrew Tumbnll the earliest settler and manager of Pareora station adjoining here.
ST. ANNS LAGOONS. Port Robinson.
ST. BATHANS, Otago. Near and formerly known as Dunstan Creek, which was founded by gold diggers in 1864, where Hawkdnn and Dunstan Ranges meet; 117 miles north-west from Dunedin. Rail to Oturehua, then coach. 12 m, to and from daily (6s). Coaches also leave for Blackstone Hill (eight miles) daily (fare 2s 6d), and for Cambrians daily. Is 1850ft above sea level. Gold mining (hydraulic sluicing and elevating). Most of the country is held by nmliolders. Good trout fishing and deer stalking. Mount St Bathans (6600 feet) reached four hours by foot and one hour by horse, easy of access; cost about 20s. Roads are fair for cycling. Has good hotels, also private boarding. First diggers started here in 1864. Has bank, post, telegraph, and money order office. Named after St. Bathans, of the Island of lona, in Scotland, in the days of the early Christians, and so named by the members of the Otago Lands Department in 1858.
ST. BERNARD MT. Near Lake Pearson.
ST BERNARD MT. Peak in Awatere range.
ST. CLAIR, Dunedin, A popular seaside resort. Electric trams leave the General Post Office every few minutes. Post and tel. office.
ST. CLAIR, Waterfall near Port Robinson.
ST. HELENS. A sheep station near Hanmer.
ST. HELENS, Nelson. 28 miles north by rail from Westport. A. coal mining district, with stores and hotel; no private boarding. Roads indifferent. Post and telephone. St. Helens is on the bank of the Mokihimii River, two miles up from Ocean Beach. Shooting and fishing close at hand. One mile from Seddonville Government State mine. Named by the late Prime Minister, R. J. Seddon, after his native place in England.
ST. HELIERS, Auckland. A seaside resort on Hauraki Gulf; nine miles east by bus from Auckland City (fare 9d each way) four times daily. Good cycling roads. Private boarding, 25s and 30s weekly, and one hotel. Splendid scenery. Steamers run four times daily, Is return. In Eden County. Post office and telephone. Excellent sea fishing and shooting Steamers frequently from Auckland (1s return).
ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE, Auckland. On the coast; seven miles by St. Heliers 'buses six times a day from Auckland City; in Eden County. Dairy-farming. Site of college the oldest educational establishment in N.Z., founded by Bishop Selwyn in 1846, near the old station of the Melanesian mission at Kohimarama, also large English Church cemetery of Purewa. Roads rather hilly. No hotels. Panmure and St. Heliers adjacent townships. The postal name for district is Tamaki East. Native name is Tamaki east, and means "Sorrow," or "Trouble."
ST. JOHN'S. 2 m from Wanganui by rail. See Wanganui.
ST. JOHN'S WOOD. Suburb of Timaru.
ST. KILDA, Otago. A municipality; population 4124 at last census, and a suburb of Dunedin adjoining the city. See Dunedin.
ST. KILDA, Nelson. 28 miles south by horse from Westport, by coach to Charleston, then horse 10 m. Post office (Charleston telegraph office 10 miles); in Buller County. A mining and farming district, with small population; hotel; on sea coast; lovely limestone caves and beautiful scenery.
ST LEONARDS (Canterbury). Sheep station. See also Culverden.
ST. LEONARDS, Otago A pretty seaside suburb on West Harbour 5 m by train from Dunedin. Post and telephone. Named after St. Leonards-on-sea, England, by early land owner. Doctor at Port Chalmers, 3 m. Is a favourite holiday resort.
ST. MARTIN'S. Suburb of Christchurch.
ST. OMER, Marlborough. 33 miles from Blenheim, on Kenepuni branch of Pelorus Sound, or 15 miles from Picton uy steamer bi-weekly. Nearest telegraph at Picton, but telephone here. Named after a N.S.W. lady friend of wife of A. P. Houston, postmaster here, 1907.
ST. PATRICK'S, Otago. A railway siding 31 miles from Gore on the Gore-Lumsden line. Balfour, four miles distant, is the nean--post office, which see.
ST. PATRICK'S COVE. At one time a wlialing station. South of Mawhai Point, Tokomaru Bay.
ST PAUL'S. Whingaroa harbour.
ST. PETER'S MT. Conical Mt. north-west of Whangaroa harbour.
ST. STEPHENS. See Kaiapoi.
SALISBURY, Canterbury. Four miles by hire from Timaru. Mails daily. Nearest telegraph office Otipna. two miles distant. Levels County. Agricultural district. On the main Otipua road. Oil an elevated position with view of Southern Alps. Named after Lord Salisbury. England, at time of survey.
SALISBURY, Otago. Railway siding six miles from Wingatui Junction, on the Wingatui .Junction-Chatto Creek line. Taioma, two miles distant, is the nearest poet office, winch see. Named after D. Reid's estate, which is close by the siding.
SALISBURY BOAD. See Midhirst.
SALTWATER CREEK. 5 m south of Greymouth.
SALTWATER CREEK, Canterbury. 20 miles north from Christchurch. Rail to Kaiapoi. then mail gig (nine miles) daily (fair 1s), returning to Kaiapoi 11.35. In Ashley County. An old settled farming district, where also fishing is carried on. Is one mile and a-half from Pegasus Bay, and is named because the creek which joins the Ashley River at it smoiith is affected by the tides. Neare5t telegraph office Waikuku, 4 m. Doctor at Rangiora, 7 m.
SAND HILLS. See Petone.
SANDHURST. See Hakataramea.
SANDIE TOWN. A suburb and portion of Timaru, which see.
SANDON BLOCK, Wellington. 62 miles east from Wanganni. Rail to Ohingaiti, then one mile; in Kiwitea County. Entirely a farming district settled for many years. Named from the Sandon-Manawatu settlers taking up the block of land Rangitikei Kiver rlose to, over which the Vinegar Hill bridge, leading to Hunterville at on« end. and the Otara at the other end leading to Ohingaiti. Creamery in operation. A prosperous agricultural district. Past and telephone office.
SANDRIDGE. Suburb of Christchurch.
SANDSTONE CREEK. Tributary of Waimea. near Mandeville.
SANDY BAY. 44 miles from Nelson. Rail to Richmond, thence coach daily 36 miles. Post office. Nearest telegraph office Riwaka, seven miles. Good fishing. Native name was Anatuera (mouth of a
cave), but named from the sandy beach here. Astoro Lake, off Marapau. a valley along the coast. Dr. at Motueka, 9 m.
SANDY BAY. Near Lyttelton harbour.
SANDY BAY. East coast south of Whananaki.
SANDY BAY. Near Astrolabe roadstead.
SANDYMOUNT, Otago. Nine miles north-east by tri-weekly ooach from Dunedin (1s 6d, 2s 6d) ; in Peninsula County. A settlement of dairyfarmers on very hilly and broken high land over the top of the hills across the bay from Dunedin. On the sea coast and reached by the Main Portobello road. The Sandfly Caves and Lover's Leap are interesting to visit. Quarrying and burning lime has lately been started. Good fishing (flounders, etc.). Post oftice. Nearest telegraph office Highcliff. 4 m. Named from hill of sand in district. Doctor at Port Chalmers. 6 miks.
SANDYFORD. Near Makiiio.
SANDY HILLS. 7 m from Riverton.
SANDY KNOLLS. 18 miles from Christchurch by rail (Broken River line), and 4 m from RollestonJunction.
SANSON, Wellington. Farming township, near Rangitikei River and 120 miles N.W. from Wellington, on the Foxton-Sansoti tramway. Rail to Foxton, then 20 miles by steam tram Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (fare 2s l0d, 3s 9d). Good cycling roads. Has hotel, and private board obtainable. Branch Bank of N.Z., post, telephone, and money order office; daily mail. In Manawatu County. Named after one of the earliest settlers who came from the Hutt. Dr. at Bulls, 4 m.
SARAH LAKE. Near Cass.
SAUL'S CREEK. Falls into Wairau River, Neleon.
SAUNDERS, Wellington. 112 m north-east from Wellington. Rail to Eketahuna, then coach daily to Alfredton, then 6 m hire. Post office and telephone. Named after earliest settler. Doctor at Eketahuna, 19 m.
SAWMILL SIDING. Now called Ruru. Railway siding. 24 m from Greymoutli. See Ruru.
SAWYERS' BAY (known also as Glendermid), Otago. Eight miles north-east from Dunedin by rail. On Otago Harbour. In Waikouaiti County. A post and telegraph office. Within one mile of Port Chalmers. There is a good tannery here. Part of this place in West Harbour Borough. Place named from the many sawyers working in the bush in former days and from sawmilling carried on by the late Mr M'Dermid. Dr. at Port Chalmers, 1 m.
SAWYER'S CREEK. Tributary of Antonio's Creek, Westland.
SAXON'S PASS. 4 m from Molesworth.
SAXON'S RIVER, Taradale district.
SCARSBOROUGH. See Pahiatua. Is also the name of place in Queen Charlotte Sound.
SCARBOROUGH. Township near Trmaru.
SCARCILL. 55 miles north-east by rail from Christchurch, Post, telephone, and money order office and savings bank. Nearest doctor Waikari, 16 m. Sheep farming.
SCARROTT'S, Auckland. 91 miles north-west from Auckland. Rail to Helensville, then steamer (17s 6d return). Telephone. Scenery nook. Nearest post offices Naumai and Tatarariki.
SCHAUMAN FALLS. At source of Maungatawhiri River.
SCHNAPPER POINT. Evan's Bay.
SCHOOL BUSH. Mangawai.
SCHOOL ROAD, Canterbury. Railway siding 30 miles from Christchurch, on the Christchurch-Oxford line. West Eyreton, one mile distant, is the nearest post office, which see.
SCHOONER BAY. Great Barrier Island.
SCORCHING BAY. A beautiful beach close to Karaka Bay. Wellington.
SCOTCH MAX'S VALLEY. 21 miles from Tawlmie.
SCOTSBURN. Near Peel Forest.
SCOTT'S BUSH. Gumfield, Maungakaramea.
SCOTT'S FERRY, Wellington. 130 miles from Wellington Rail to Greatford, then hire 15 miles; in Rangitikei County. Near the sea beach and not far from the mouth of Rangitikei River. Good fishing in summer, and duck and swan shooting in season. Nearest telegraph office Bulls. 12 m. Post closed; Parawamii acting for here (which see). Named from Thomas Scott who, from 1849 to 1897 ran the ferry in a Maori canoe.
SCOTT'S GAP, Southland. 39 miles from Invercargill. Rail to Otautau, then seven miles; in Wallace County. A runholding and farming district. Has telephone office. Good trout fishing. Called after Mr Scott, first settler, and from a pass or gap between the hills close by. Dr. at Otautau. 7 m.
SCOTTS GAP. Westland. Now known as Karangarua. which see.
SCOTTY'S CAMP. Babylon district.
SCRUBBY HILL. See Waikawa Valley.
SEACLIFF, Otago. 24 miles north by rail from Dunedin; in Waikonaiti County. Post, telephone, and money order office. Is tin site of the Otago Mental Hospital. Has a dairy factory, and there is a good main road for cyclists: private boarding. So named from being on a cliff by the sea.
SEADOWN, Canterbury. Eight miles north by rail from Timaru; in Levels County. A splendid sheep and wheat-farming district with excellent level roads for cyclists. A hotel, but no private boarding, which in obtainable at Temuka. 4 miles off. Seadown extends north to Opihi River, where splendid fishing is obtainable—namely, trout, flounders, whitebait, etc.. and on the east by sea coast, where kahawhai, groper, herrings, etc.. may be caught. Shooting may be had all over the district — as lagoons are many—also creeks, where ducks are plentiful; also hare shooting is indulged in. Picnic parties are held in large plantations close by,which afford much shelter. Services are held in schoolroom once monthly Presbyterian (4th Sunday in the month). Originally owned by the late Robert Rhodes, and nailed by him because of its being flat and bounded on east by sea coast. Nearest telegraph office, Temuka, 4 m. Post office and telephone bureau. A bi-weekly coach also runs from Timaru (1s 6d). Doctor at Temuka, 4 m.
SEAFIELD, Canterbury. On the coast; 68 miles south from Christchurch. Rail to Ashburton, then 12 miles; in Ashburton County. A farming locality with level roads for cyclists. Is situated on the Ninety mile Beach. Poet and telephone office. So named by first owner from proximity to sea.
SEAFORD. See Collingwood.
SEAL ISLAND. 4 m from Brighton, Nelson.
SEATON'S CREEK. Near mouth of Buller River.
SEATONVILLE. See Seddonville
SEATOUN. A suburb of Wellington, at the Heads. Six mile, south-east by daily ferry steamer (8d return), or by electric car from Wellington. Is a part of Miramar borough. A favourite seaside resort. No hotel, but good boarding accommodation, stores, tea rooms, post and telephone office. One mile from Worser Bay, which see for further description. Electric car to Seatoun opened on December 18, 1907. Near is the site of Oruaiti pa, famous in Maori history. Favourite picnic resort is Breaker Bav, a few minutes walk from here.
SEATOUN. See Portobello. of which it is a nart.
SEA VIEW. A railway station 23 miles from Greymouth, on the Greymouth-Hokitika railway. Hokitika nearest post and telegraph office, 1 m distant. Nearest railway to Sea View Mental Hospital. Named because view of sea is obtainable.
SEAVIEW, Canterbury. 10 miles by hiring from Ashburton; in Ashburton County. A farming and pastoral district, with good level roads all around. Is on the sea coast. Named after a farm in the district having good view of the sea. Post and telegraph office and doctor at Ashburton. 10 m.
SEAWARD BUSH, Southland. Railway siding three miles from Invercargill, on the Invercargill-Waimahaka line. Appleby, one mile distant, is the nearest post office, which see.
SEAWARD DOWNS, Southland. 29 miles from Invercargill. By rail to Edendale, then six miles walk. In Southland County. Entirely farming. Doctor at Wyndham, 9 m. Post and tel. office.
SEAWARD MOSS, Southland. Eight miles south by rail from Invercargill; in Awarua County. A sawmilling and farming district, two miles from Clinton.
SEAWARD RANGE. 6 to 12 m south and south-west of Kaikoura.
SEBASTOPOL. Lime kilns near Kakanui, Oamaru.
SECOND BAY, near Charleston.
SEDDON, Marlborough. 34 miles from Picton and 13 from Blenheim by rail, on the Picton-Ward railway. A post, telephone, and money order office. Is on Awatere River. Named after late Premier R. J. Seddon.
SEDDONVILLE, Nelson. 30 miles north by rail from Westport; in Buller County. A post, telephone, and money order office. Named after the late Premier. Is a mining township. State coal mines here, and two hotels. Is situated on the Mokihinui River, which is teeming with trout and whitebait in its season. Good pigeon shooting and magnificent scenery.
SEDGEBROOK, Wanganui. 1 ½ m from Wanganui. Post and telph.
SEDGEMERE. See Taumutu.
SEFTON, Canterbury. One mile from Ashley River, three miles from coast, and 26 miles north by rail from Christchurch ; in Ashley County. Wheat, farming, and butter factory. Good trout fishing in Ashley River. Splendid hare shooting, also a few pheasants and quail. Roads are very best for cycling. Private boarding might be obtained, and there is a hotel. Has a post, telegraph, and money order office. Place named after the late Mr Sefton Moorhouse. Doctor at Rangiora, 5g miles.
SEFTON MOUNT (10,959ft), near Mount Cook.
SELWYN, Canterbury. 23 miles south-west by rail from Christchurch and two miles from Dunsandel; in Selwyn County. Post office, but no tel. office. A very old township on south bank of Selwyn River. Has not advanced much. Good fishing in the Seltvyn River (which drains into Lake Ellesmere), and hares plentiful. Nearest telegraph Dunsandel, 2 m. Named after Bishop Selwyn, first H us hop of N.Z. Dr. at Soutlibridge, 11 m.
SELWYN GORGE. On Selwyn River.
SELWYN ISLAND. 1 ½ m south of Catherine Bay, 2 m long at Port Abercrombie.
SENTINEL ROCK. Entrance Pelorus Sound.
SENTRY HILL, Taranaki. Eight miles by rail from New Plymouth. Is situated on Te Arei road, was a stronghold occupied by the British troops during the Maori War, and was the scene of a tierce engagement on May 1, 1864, when the Maori Hau Hau prophet was killed. The rivers are stocked with English trout, etc.. and iish from 81b to lOlb weight have been taken, although very little fishing has yet been done. Flour mills. Named from adjacent hill, where Maoris during the war kept sentry watching a blockhouse at Bell Block, three miles off, then occupied by British troops. Telephone. Nearest doctor Waitara, 4 miles.
SEPARATION POINT. 46 m from Nelson. Was named by D'Urville on January 14, 1827, as it divided Tagman Bay from Massacre Bay, and he anchored here. See also Blind Bay.
SEPARATION POINT. Near Totaranui, Tasman Bay.
SERGEANT'S HILL. A railway station four miles from Westport. See Giles Terrace, which acts as post office. Named by the early miners, after Mrs Sergeant, who kept boarding house on small hill in the early days of the gold diggings. Nearest doctor at Westport.
SERPENTINE, Otago. Mining camp, 110 miles north-west from Dunedin. By rail to Waipiata, thence coach to Patearoa, thence 24 miles. One dwelling here, comprising hotel, store, butcher, etc.; and a few diggers and Chinamen.
SEVEN MILE CREEK. 7 m north of Greymouth. Coal here.
SEVEN MILE CREEK. Flows into Lake Wakatipu, near Closeburn.
SEVEN MILE CROSSING. Another name for Longbush.
SEVERN RIVER. Tributary of Acheron River.
REWELLS PEAK (2732ft), Paparoa Range.
SHAFTESBURY, Auckland. 43 miles south from Thames. By rail to Te Aroha, then coach 8 m daily, with daily mail. In Piako County. Has few residents, and those mostly farmers. Is on the Waihou River, and is now connected with Manawaru by a new bridge. Called after the Earl of Shaftesbury. Post and telephone. Doctor at Te Aroha, 8 m.
SHAG POINT, Otago. A coal mining township near mouth of Shag River; 34 m south by rail from Oamaru. The Shag Point Coal Co. rimed the mine here, but Allandale Colliery is working; one hotel, no private board. Rabbit shooting and trout fishing close at hand—Shag River. Telephone and money order office. River and place named from the abundance of shags here when first settled. Dr. at Palmerston. 7 m.
SHAG ROCK, near Sumner.
SHAG VALLEY, Otago. 45 miles north by rail (Glen Park-station) from Dunedin; in Waihemo County. A long-settled farming district with good land, and good level roads. Ii near Shag River, which is full of trout. Name of post office changed to Glen Park, which see. Shag Valley named from number of shags which frequented the river.
SHAKESPEARE BAY. 3 m from Picton.
SHAKESPEAR'S CLIFF, Mercury Bay.
SHAMROCK LEAD, near Addisons (Westport).
SHANDS, Otago. A railway siding eight miles from Mosgiel, on the Mosgiel-Outram line. Outram, one mile distant, is the nearest post office, which see. Named after Wm Shand, who owned estate here.
SHAND'S TRACK, Canterbury.
SHANNON FERRY. 8 m from Foxton, across Manawatu River.
SHANNON. Wellington. On the Manawatu River, 14 miles from sea coast; 69 miles north by rail from Wellington. A comparatively recently settled district now busy with sheep and dairy farming, also flaxmilling on an extensive scale. Has a savings bank, a creamery, two hotels, stores, post, money order, and telegraph office. A coach runs to and from Foxton twice daily via Moutoa. Very good shooting—hares, pheasants, quail, wild pigeons, and ducks in abundance. Around the district wild pigs are found. Roads good for cycling. Hotel boarding only. Named after an early settler. Nearest doctors Levin and Foxton.
SHARKS BAY. East of Te Awaite.
SHARKS TOOTH. Hill near Lochiel.
SHARPRIDGE. See Orawai.
SHEEP. The number of sheep in the colony up to April 30, 1907, was 20,983,772. The North Island was responsible for 10,854,018, and the South Island 10,129,754.
SHEEPWASH CREEK. Tributary of Mataura River, 8 m from Balfour.
SHEFFIELD, Canterbury. 38 miles north-west by rail from Christchurch ; in Selwyn County ; post, telegraph, and money order office. Colliery now closed, is a good farming district, has good roads all round, a hotel, and private boarding is obtainable. The Waimakariri River and bridge near here. Trout fishing. Doctor at Darfield, 9 m.
SHELLY BAY. Site of Torpedo Corps depot, Evans Bay.
SHELLBACK CREEK. See Thames.
SHEPHERDS FLAT. 5 m from Cullensvilte.
SHERIFF RIVER. Tributary of Maruia River.
SHERRY RIVER, Nelson. 48 miles south-east from Nelson. Rail to Tadmor, thence coach (bi-weekly) 14 miles (2e 6d). In Waimea County. Is entirely a farming locality, originally all light forest land; with a post and telephone office and school. The waters of the river contain oxide of iron, which gives them the appearance of sherry wine, hence the name. Hops are grown to advantage, and a timber mill has recently been erected. Splendid trout fishing. Nearest doctor at Tapawera.
SHERWOOD, Canterbury. A railway siding 46 miles from Rakaia, on the Rakaia-Methven line. Lauriston, three miles distant, is the nearest post office, which see.
SHERWOOD DOWNS. See Ashwick Flat.
SHIP COVE. 9 m from Endeavour Inlet. Headquarters of Captain Cook, where he distributed seeds and pigs to Natives. One of New Zealand's most historic spots, the landing place of Captain Cook. As the spot is part of a scenic reserve of 1700 acres, it is in practically the same condition as when the historic event took place. Captain Cook landed here on the 15th January, 1770, and subsequently erected a flagstaff and hoisted the Union Jack. Thus conferring on Ship Cove the distinction of being the first soil in New Zealand from which the emblem of the British Empire was flown.
SHIPKA PASS, Riverside, Canterbury.
SHIPWRECKED MARINERS (DEPOTS FOR). It is well to make known that the New Zealand Government maintains depots for castaways on the following islands :—Antipodes, Auckland, Campbell, Bounty, Snares, and Kermadec. The following are the positions of the depots:—
Auckland Islands.—A depot is placed on the south side of Erebus Cove, Port Hoss, and another in Camp Cove, Carnley Harbour, and a third at the head of Norman Inlet. One boat is placed on the north-west end of Adams Island, another on Enderby Island, ;md another on Rose Island. Depots and boats are being placed (1908) on other points.
Campbell Island.—A depot is erected in Tucker Cove, Perseverance Harbour, and a boat has been placed at the head of that harbour.
Three Kings.—A depot is placed on the Big King.
Antipodes Islands.—A depot is placed abreast the anchorage on the north-east side of the principal island.
Bounty Islands.—There is a depot on the principal island.
Snares Island.—A depot has been established on this island in Heat Harbour. Negotiations are- now proceeding between N.Z. and the Commonwealth to erect lighthouse on this island, the cost to be divided between them.
Kermadec Islands.—A depot is established on .Macaulay Island, near Lava Cascade, on the north-east end of the island, and another on Curtis Island, at the head of Macdonald Cove, on the northwestern end of the island.
Finger-posts to indicate the direction of the depots have also been put up.
The Government steamer visits the Auckland, Campbell, Antipodes. Bounty, and Snares Islands twice a year, and the Kermadec Islands once a year, and one of His Majesty's ships calls at the Auckland, Campbell, Antipodes, and Bounty Islands twice a year, the visits being made about midway between the trips of the Government steamer.
SHINGLES CREEK. See Morrison's.
SHIRLEY. See Christchurch.
SHOAL BAY, Auckland Harbour.
SHOE ISLAND. 1 ½ m east from Tairua Head, 1 m in circumvence. When seen from north-west or south-west exactly represents a shoe.
SHOOTING. The shooting in N.Z. is almost solely confined to small game, native and imported, but in many districts the game abounds and offers good sport generally, and within a few hours' railway or horse ride from any of the townships or even from the large business centres. There is a set season for- shooting both native and imported game, and it varies according to locality and conditions. In Wainiate and Waitaki districts (Canterbury Province) deer stalking licenses are issued from middle of March to end of May; in Otago similar months; in Wellington Province, from March to April; and West Coast, from February to April 18. A license must be obtained, and any post office can issue such. Local inquiries should, for taking out a license, be made at post office as to the season open in the district. The intending sportsman should look up the township wherein he may happen to be located in this work, and he will there find particulars of shooting, if any exists at the place, and he may then look up the surrounding towns and so map out a route for himself as indicated by the sport obtainable. The game in the North Island simply abounds in many places, and the list is as follows: —Pheasants chiefly in Auckland and Taranaki districts ; Pukaki or swamp hen, quail, hares, N.Z. ducks, N.Z. pigeons, and teal, around Gisborne ; and kiwi, weka, kaka, about Kaipara Flat, Auckland ; snipe, in Nelson province (see Appleby) ; hhu:k swan, in Auckland province (see Aptea) ; deer, in the back ranges of Nelson (see Stoke) ; wild goats, in Wellington province (see Otaki), and in Nelson province (see Stoke) ; wild pigs, in Wellington province (see Otaki), and in Auckland province (see Kaipara Flats). In the South Island are wild ducks, N.Z. pigeons, kakas (wild parrot), chiefly on the West Coast, pukaki, quail, hares (in Canterbury chiefly),wild geese, black swans, deer (in the mountainous districts of Otago), and wild pigs. In Canterbury hare coursing is common. Good fallow and red deer stalking may be had in Otago, Nelson, Wellington, Wanganui, and Canterbury provinces. These animals grow rapidly in New Zealand and carry magnificent points. License fee in Otago £3, in Nelson and Wellington 20s.
The much despised rabbit, which has not been mentioned in the above list, used to afford good shooting within a mile or two of any of the business centres. It is gradually being thinned out; where poisoning failed the rabbit canning and freezing industry has succeeded, as trapping has been a paying occupation throughout rabbit-infested districts for some time. But, however, a day's good sport with bunny may yet be had with good dogs and shot guns within an hour's rail or less from almost any town in the colony. If dogs should not be obtainable better sport may be had with any of the rifled small arms now in use, such as the Marlin, Winchester, Stevens, Remington, Francotte, etc.
SHORTLAND. 147 m by rail or weekly steamer from Auckland and one mile from Thames. See Thames.
SHOTOVER. A river and district near Frankton, which see. Well known in Otago in the old days for the fine gold taken from its bed and beaches, and which is now worked upon by gold dredges. Nearest telegraph. Krankton, 4 m. See Shotover Upper.
SHOTOVER (UPPER), Otago. 133 m from Invercargill. Rail to Kingston, steamer (on lake) to Queenstown. coach to Skippers, then l«y mail cart bi-weekly 8 m. Gold mining chief industry. No boarding, nearest being Skippers, 10 m. Splendid scenery, good agricultural land, but roads bad. Dr. at Arrowtown, 30 m. Nearest telg. Skippers.
SIBERIA. A bleak quarry. Terminus Westport-Cape Foulwind railway.
SILVERHOPE, Wellington. 46 miles east by rail from Wanganui ; in Rangitikei County; and three miles from Hunterville. on the main road to Marton. Shooting—quail, partridges, ducks, hares, and pheasants. Trout in the Parewa Stream adjacent. Is entirely a sheep-fanners' locality, and has a post and telegraph office. Named after former owners of ground—Messrs Silver and Hope. Nearest doctor at Hunterville.
SILVER LAKE Outlet to Shotover Biver at Tuckers Beach.
SILVERSTREAM. See Fairlie.
SILVERSTREAM, Wellington. 17 miles north-east from Wellington by rail; in Hutt County. Post .and telephone. Fishing in Hutt River. Daily mail service. Brick and tile company here. River and place named from the silver appearance of the beaches of the river. Dr. at Upper Hutt.
SILVERSTREAM, Otago. 11 miles from Dunedin. By rail to Mosgiel, thence either ride or drive. Is a branch of the Taier; River, situated close to the township of Mosgiel, and a great picnic resort during the summer months. The Silverstream watershed is the source of Dunedin water supply, the race being of great length round the Chain Hills. Post and telegraph office at Mosgiel.
SIMONS PASS, Lake Te Kapo.
SIMMONDS ISLAND, near Drury.
SINCLAIR HEAD, 5 m south-west from Wellington Head.
SINCLAIR MOUNT. (2825ft). near Pigeon Bay. Banks Peninsula.
SIMPSONS CREEK. Flows into Lake Wakatipu at Mt. Crichton.
SIX-MILE. See Waikawa.
SIX MILE, near Charleston.
SIX MILE BEACH. South Westland, near Okarito.
SIX MILE BEACH, near Waikawa.
SKINNER ROAD. A railway station four miles from Stratford, on the Stratford-Toko line. Toko, three miles distant, is the nearest post office.
SKIPPERS MOUNT. East side of Lake McKerrow.
SKIPPERS SADDLE. Between Queenstown and Maori Point.
SKIPPERS, Otago. A mining township, with sheep-farming and grazing carried on in the district. The mining is quartz, sluicing, and dredging, the latter very extensively. The township is well worth a visit as it can be reached easily from Queenstown, from which it is distant 20 miles, by hired conveyance or coach. The coach leaves Queens-town at 3 p.m. on Wednesday and Saturday, and leaves here on return Tuesday and Friday at 10 a.m.; fare, 7s, or 12s 6d return. For visitors it is better to hire a buggy and if they only wish a view of Skippers, they can—in summer only—get there to lunch, have two hours to look round, and then get back to Queenstown before dark. If, however, they wish to see the mining district properly they should remain a day or more at Skippers. Visitors are often taken to the confluence of Deep Creek with the Shotover, about five miles from Skippers, and told, by the drivers, it is no use going further as they have seen all that is worth seeing. This is misleading, and acts indirectly against the district and the trap-owners' interest, as it comes out later on when comparing notes that many have really not been to Skippers. To do Skippers properly a night should be spent there, and if the quartz mines are to be visited two or three days, if the elevating in the river bed and the sluicing claims are also to be seen it will require a week. The hotel accommodation Is very good. The new bridge across the Shotover is, it is believed, the highest from the water way in New Zealand. The hydraulic sluicing on view for two miles down the river terraces, elevating the river bed wash by suction, the Achilles quartz mine, and the Shotover quartz mine are all most interesting, and the hire of the conveyance is but a trifle each where there is a party. The district is not suitable for cycles, and they may be left at Queenstown during this trip. One hotel, but no private boarding Is on the banks of Shotover River,, and was named alter Captain day, of the steamer Victory, which was wrecked near Otago Heads in 1861, who discovered gold here. Captain Gay was always called and spoken of as '' The Skipper," hence the name Skipper's Point, which in time was abbreviated to Skippers. Good wild goat shooting. Poet and telegraph office. Doctor at Arrowtown. SLAB HUT CREEK. Tributary of Little Grey River.
SLATY CREEK. Tributary of Grey River.
SLIPPER ISLAND. 2 m off the mainland, 4 m S.E. from Tairua Head, 467ft summit. Named from its shape.
SLOPEDOWN. See Otaraia, which is nearest post office.
SLOPE POINT, Southland. 51 miles south from Invercargill. Rail to Waimahaka, then coach (bi-weekly) 23 miles. Is 18 m from Bortrose and 6 from Waikawa. Otara, 8 m. Post and telephone office. A sloping point into the sea, hence name, and the most southerly point in the South Island, 1 m from river. Named by .J. O'Brien, settler in 1870.
SMART MOUNT, Hohonu Range.
SMART ROAD. A railway station three miles from New Plymouth, on the New Plymouth-Wellington line. Nearest post and telegraph office Fitzroy, one mile distant.
SMELTING COVE, In Bon Accord Harbour.
SMITE PEAK (6529ft), Ashburton County.
SMITE RIVER. Flows into Lake Heron. Ashburton County.
SMITHFIELD. 98 miles by railway from Christchurch, on Christchurch-Dunedin line. Nearest post office Washdyke. Named after Smithfield (England). Freezing works here.
SMITHFIELD. District near Winchester. S
MOKY CAVE. Stewart Island.
SMOOTHWATER, S. of Jackson's Head, where, in 1872, a (settlement of Germans and Poles was established. See Jackson's Bay.
SNARES ISLAND. A castaway depot, 60m S. of Stewart Island, for shipwrecked mariners is maintained on this island by the New Zealand Government. The depot is situated in what is known as Boat Harbour. The Government steamer visits hore twice a year. Realising the necessity of the erection of a lighthouse on this island, negotiations are proceeding between Australia and N.Z. Is the principal island of The Snares, which see.
SNOWY CREEK. See Little Grey Junction.
SNOWY RIVER. Tributary of Little Grey River.
SNUG COVE. Near Ketu Bay.
SOCKBURN, Canterbury. Five miles south by rail from Christchurch (Hornby railway station, one mile); in Selwyn County. Set Hornby for descriplion of country. Post office.
SODTOWN. Near Rakaia.
SOLANDER ISLAND. A small island north-west of Stewart Island. Uninhabited. Sighted by Captain Cook on 15th February, 1770, and named by him after Dr Solander, a Swede, the naturalist of the Endeavour. About the time of discovery of Foveaux Straits in 1808and 1810 five European stowaways were put ashore here and wore not discovered until May 12, 1813. It is a bare rock, one mile in length, towering perpendicularly to a peaked summit 1150ft above the water. The Maori name is Hau-tere (meaning "swift sand"), and is very appropriate.
SOLDIERS, Westland. A hill with coal mine and site for township, 3 m from Blackball, which see; also Paparoa.
SOLWAY. 2 m from Masterton, and site of Show Grounds.
SOMERS RANGE (5511ft), Upper Ashburton district.
SOMERTON, Canterbury. Railway siding 41 miles from Christchurch, on the Rakaia-Methven line. Rakaia, 5 miles distant, is the nearest post office, which see.
SOMES ISLAND, Wellington. An island in the harbour of Port Nicholson, used as a quarantine station. Has a lighthouse with fixed light.
SOMMERVILLE. Now known as Mataroa, which see.
SOU BAY. S. of Richmond Bay.
SOUNDS. A county in the South Island. Population, 1100.
SOUNDS (or Fiords). Numerous sounds or fiords penetrate the south-western coast of the Middle Island. They are long, narrow, and deep (the depth of water at the upper part of Milford Sound is 1,270ft, although at the entrance only 130ft), surrounded by giant mountains clothed with foliage to the snow-line, with waterfalls, glaciers, and snow-fields at every turn. Some of the mountains rise almost precipitously from the water's edge to 5,000ft and 6,000ft above the sea (one of the most noticeable being Mitre Peak, 5,560ft). Near Milford Sound, the finest of these sounds, is the great Sutherland Waterfall, 1,904ft high.
The most noteworthy of these sounds are Milford (noted above), and there are within a distance of 120 miles no less than 13 deep inlets or sounds running inland, some of them a distance of 20 miles. All these sounds are surrounded by high and precipitous mountains, many rising almost perpendicularly from the water's edge to heights varying from 3,000ft to 6,700ft. The names of these 13 deep inlets, south to north, are: Preservation and Chalky Inlets (Edwardson Sound). Dusky, Breaksea, Daggs, Doubtful, Thompson, Nancy, Charles, Caswell, George, Bligh, and Milford Sounds.
SOUTH ASHBURTON. See Tinwald.
SOUTHBRIDGE, Canterbury. A town district with a population of about 350; situated within three miles of the Rakaia River, close to the sea coast and within a mile or so of Lake Ellesmere ; in Selwyn County. The township is the largest in the district, which mainly grows wheat, although grazing and pig rearing are carried on extensively. Southbridge is the terminus of the Christchurch - Southbridge branch line, 31 miles south from Christchurch. Morning and evening trains connect with city. Shooting and fishing are amongst the great attractions of South-bridge—the former being good, and the latter excellent. Lake Ellesmere is a well-known shooting ground ; while the mouth of the Rakaia is famed for the size, number, and quality of the trout obtained from it— one angler last season obtaining over 501b of fish for one morning's sport. Boarding accommodation both for anglers and cyclists (who will find the roads remarkably good) cheap and excellent, there being two hotels. Southbridge .is conspicuous amongst country towns for its very fine swimming bath, erected by the local Town Board. Climate here is mild and healthy. Bi-weekly newspaper (Ellesmere Guardian), branch Bank New Zealand, flourmills, agricultural implement works, several stores, post, telegraph, money order, and savings bank offices are in township. Half holiday held Wednesday. Resident doctor.
SOUTH BAY. S. side of Kaikoura Peninsula.
SOUTHBRIDGE, Otago. See Milton.
SOUTHBROOK, Canterbury. 19 miles north by rail from Christchurch and one mile from Rangiora, which is nearest telegraph office; in Ashley County. A flax-dressing, market-gardening, and fanning district, with good level roads for cyclists; hotel, and private board obtainable. Flourmills, flaxmills, and ropeworks in settlement. Named after one of two streams which run north and south here. Dr. at, Rangiora, 1 m. Post office.
S0UTHBURN, Canterbury. 10 miles south-went from Timaru. By rail to St. Andrews, then an eight-mile walk ; in Waimate County. A sheep station and farming district, with good level roads, but no township. Situated on the Pareora River. Trout fishing in river; shooting plentiful. About six miles west of the school, in the Pireora Gorge, are the head works of the Timaru water supply. Nearest telegraph Beaconsfield, 3 ½ m. St. Andrews, 8 m. Dr. at Timaru, 10 m.
SOUTH CAPE. S.W. of Stewart Island.
SOUTHDOWN. Railway siding 7 m from Auckland. Freezing works here.
SOUTH DUNEDIN. A suburb and part of Dunedin, which see. Post, telegraph, and money order offices.
SOUTH EAST BAY, Pelorus Sound.
SOUTHERDOWN. District near Timaru.
SOUTH FOREST HILL. See Lochiel.
SOUTH HEAD, Cough's Bay.
SOUTH HELENSVILLE. See Helensville.
SOUTH HILL END, Southland. 38 miles from Inrercargill. By rail to Centre Bush, then walk six miles. In Southland County. Good level roads. Post -and telephone. Named by surveyor owing to position at end of hill.
SOUTH ISLET (36ft high). In Coromandcl Harbour.
SOUTH INVERCARGILL. Suburb of Invercargill.
SOUTHLAND DISTRICT. In 1876 Southland was again merged into and formed part of Otago provincial district. As it is still known as Southland it is here treated separately and it includes Stewart Island. Southland is bounded on the north and east by Otago, and on the south and west by the Tasman Sea. Southland was formerly part of Otago, but on February 28, 1861, it was separated and formed into a province, but later it was again joined with Otaco.
The total area of the district is 7,566,592 acres, of which 500,000 are covered with bush. The bulk of the busli land lies between the lakes and the south and west coasts. The timbers of commercial value arc totara, rimu. miro, matai, rata, and kamai, in mixed bushes; but birches are on the high lands on the west coast.
A feature of this district is the number of well-defined rivers and valleys. The Mataura. Oreti (or New River). Aparima (or Jacob's River), and Waiau are the largest rivers.
The famous West Coast fiords are in this district, but there are only to inhabitants and they are at the head of Milford Sound.
Near the large lakes—Wakatipu, Te Anau. Manapouri, Hauroto, and thers—and between these and the west coast, the country often reaches ,000ft and 6,000ft, with very steep and rugged spurs and ravines, these i most cases being covered with a dense growth of timber, principally of the birch or beech, for two-thirds of their height.
Southland does not contain so much forest as most of the North Island istricts, nevertheless there is a very considerable quantity in the eastern, outhern, ajid western parts, and a large export trade is done in the different kinds of pines and other timbers used for building, engineering, and furniture purposes, etc.
Wheat is not widely grown; oats are largely grown, and turnips are much cultivated for winter food. The yield of oats is about 70 ;o 80 bushels to the acre, and wheat 40 to 60 bushels. Linseed is ;rown, but the area is not very large. Turnips are largely grown ind the yields very satisfactory. The land is well adapted for raising wheat, oats, and other cereals, turnips, mangolds, beets, and the various other crops common to temperate climates.
Dairyfarming has become a very important industry, and is rapidly expanding. Cheese and butter factories are numerous and the cheese produced is very excellent.
The most important industries are sheep rearing and growing wool, ind the exports of frozen mutton and wool from the Bluff (its chief port) are of great value. The average carrying capacity over the whole district would probably be slightly over two sheep to the acre.
Coal and lignite are distributed over the district, and peat is also found and used for fuel where wood and coal are scarce. Gold is found all over the district, and a large number are engaged in obtaining it either by sluicing or dredging.
Salt-water fish abound in great quantities in the Waters surrounding Stewart Island, and oysters are found on banks between that island and the Bluff. All the large rivers and many tributaries are well stocked with trout.
The climate is bracing in winter, and warm and genial in spring and summer. The average rainfall is about 30in a year, but more rain falls near the coast than inland. The temperature varies from 40deg. in winter to 70deg. in summer.
The small English fruits, such as gooseberries, currants, raspberries, strawberries, etc., grow in great profusion, as do also apples. Stone-fruits are not so common, although peaches, nectarines, apricots, etc., do well when trained against nursery walls in favourable aspects.
SOUTH MALVERN, Canterbury. 41 miles north-west by rail from Christchurch; in Selwyn County. A small district long settled, having mines of brown coal. Nearest post and telephone. Whitecliffis.
SOUTH NORSEWOOD, Hawke's Bay. 73 miles from Napier. Rail to Ormondville, then coach twice dailv 4 m with mail twice flaily. Telephone office. Trout fishing in Manawatu River; shooting plentiful. Place so named being originally a Scandinavian settlement, which was formed in 1872 by Scandinavian emigrants who arrived in the ship Houdang, and were sent by the Government into the heart of the hills Inert- The Norwegian language is still commonlv spoken, the inhabitants mostly yet being Scandinavian and adhering to maay «i their native o-ustoms, using Norwegian carts. Dr. at Norsewood, ¾ m.
SOUTHPORT. See Te Oneroa.
SOUTH RAKAIA. See Rakaia.
SOUTH SIDE. Suburb of Blenheim.
SOUTH SPIT. See Hokitika.
SOUTH WELLINGTON. See Wellington.
SOUTHWEST BAY. Near Halfway Bav.
SOUTH WEST POINT. Most southerly point of Middle bland.
SOUTHWOOD POINT. South point of Maud Island.
SOWBURN. See Patearoa.
SPANIARDS. Rockly inlet south-east side Kaikoura Peninsula.
SPAR. Hut springs, Taupo.
SPAR BUSH, Southland. 16 miles from Invercargill. Rail t Waianiwa, thence 4 miles. Industries: Farming, dairying, and saw milling. Oreti or New River is distant about one mile from here, whei good fishing is obtainable. Good shooting. No accommodation. Tri- weekly mail service. Telegraph at Waianiwa, 4 m. Dr. at Invercargill
SPEARGRASS FLAT. See Lower Shotover.
SPECIMEN CREEK. Mahakipawa.
SPEEDS VALLEY. 6 m south of Blenheim.
SPEY RIVER. Waiau district.
SPIRITS BAY. Parenga district.
SPIT. A portion of the port at Napier, which see. Now calle Port Ahuriri.
SPIT. Old site of Westport.
SPOONER'S RANGE. Between Waimea Plains and Motupik Valley.
SPORING'S ISLAND. ¾ m long and 360ft high. Off Cook's Cove, Tolaga Bay.
SPOTSWOOD, Canterbury. 81 miles from Christchurch. Rail to Domett, coach to Cheviot (2s 6d), then 7 m. In Ashley County Mail service tri-weekly. Telephone office. Named by late Prime Minister, R. J. Seddon, after his wife's maiden name. Nearest Doctor at Cheviot.
SPREAD EAGLE. See Ashburton Forks.
SPREYDON. A suburb of Christchurch. which see.
SPRINGBANK, Canterbury. 28 miles north from Christchurch. By rail to Moeraki, then two miles : in Ashley County. A small district of sheep farmers, with level and good roads, and has post office. Nearest telegraph office, Cust, 5 miles. Good fishing. Nearest doctor. Raniriora, 8 m.
SPRINGBANK. Otago. See Waianiwa.
SPRINGBROOK. St. Andrew.
SPRINGBURN, Canterbury. 30 miles by rail from Ashburton on the Ashburton-Springburn line, and 83 miles from Christchurch 1100ft above sea level. In Ash burton County. A sheep farming district, with level roads, all good ; post office and telephone bureau Is the terminus of the Mount Somers railway, flood trout fishing Nearest doctor, Methven. 15 miles.
SPRING CREEK, Marlborough. Is a farming district, fooi miles north by rail from Blenheim. In Marlborough County: will post, money order, and telephone office. The industries carried on here are dairy factory and flourmill. Store and hotels. The roads are od for cyclists, and it is a pleasant run from Blenheim. Named from a creek which flows through district, which is fed from springs few miles from township. Good trout fishing. Dr. at Blenheim, 4 m.
SPRINGFIELD, Canterbury. 44 miles west by rail from Christchurch. In Tawera County. On River Kowai. A farming and eep district, with coal mine and pottery works, and post, telegaph, and money order office. Springfield as a health resort is well ironised in the holiday season, as having an altitude of over 1200ft iove sea level the air is salubrious and bracing. Hare shooting, it no birds and no fishing near at hand. The roads are good for cling, and boarding can be obtained at hotel or private boarding ruee. Dr. at Darfield, 15 m.
SPRING GROVE, Nelson. On the Wai-iti River, 14 miles north by rail from Nelson; in Waimea County. Grain, hops, fruit, and lirying; Fruitgrowers' Association. Splendid deer, hare, and quail .ooting; also trout fishing. Places of interest—Wairoa Gorge, Aniseed alley copper mine, and good scenery. Cycling roads are of the very best and also a splendid climate. Has a school, post and telephone office; no hotel, but boarding at about 21s per week. Dr. at Brightwater, 1 ½ m.
SPRINGHILLS, Southland. 30 miles north-east by rail from ivercargill; in Southland County. Dairying. Hokonui coal mine as here, but closed. Telegraph office at Brown's, 4 m. Named from spring- found on the hills. Dr. at Winton, 10 m.
SPRINGLANDS, Marl borough.1 ½ miles west from Blenheim; in Marlborough County. The description of Blenheim (which is the rarest telegraph office) applies to this. Named by first owner from eing many springs around. Doctor at Blenheim. Bus service to and from Blenheim. Post office.
SPRINGS. 52 miles from Dunedin by rail, on the Otago entral railway. See Middlemarch for post office.
SPRINGS. Near Castle Hill.
SPRINGSTON, Canterbury. Farming and dairying district, 7 miles south by rail from Christchurch and four miles from Lake Ellesmere. There is a creamery here. No accommodation house except hotels in the district. Visitors from a distance generally camp on the lake for shooting or fishing. There are several huts on the bank of the Selwyn River, near its outlet in Lake Ellesinere, owned by gentlemen rom Christchurch for accommodation when shooting or fishing. At the next township, Lincoln (three miles distant), a coach runs daily to and com Christchurch (fare, 2s return). Post office and telephone. Named owing to springs abounding here. Doctor at Lincoln, 3 m.
SPRINCSTON RAILWAY. 17 miles south by rail from Christchurch. Post, telegraph, and money order office.
SPRING TERRACE. Kaituna Valley.
SPRINGVALE. See Wanganui.
SPRINGVALE, Otago. See Alexandra.
SPYE, Railway siding 50 m from Christchurch. Omihi nearest post office.
SQUARETOWN. An old township near Reefton, now deserted.
STAFFORD, Westland. On Waimea Creek, eight miles north-ast by rail from Hokitika. Post office two and a-half miles distant rom the station. Hokitika and Kumara coach passes daily 10 a.m. returning 4 p.m. (1s 6d to Hokitika and 2s to Kumara). Gold mining (hydraulic sluicing) and sawmilling. Sluicing claims interesting, also Scandinavian Hill for splendid view. Good cycling roads, and two hotels, school, literary institute, churches, post, tele phone, and money order ofiiee. Stafford and Goldsborouh (formerly called Waimea, after the name of the creek which runs through the township) were first called "The Six-mile Diggings" generally; afterwards Stafford was called "Peg-leg," because the first storekeeper had a wooden leg: later Stafford was named after Mr Thomas Stafford, the first storekeeper and postmaster. Nearest Dr. at Hokitika.
STAIRCASE GULLY. Near Otarama, on Midland railway route (Christchurch to Greymouth). Nearest post office Springfield.
STAIR PEAK MT. (6644ft.). Richardson's Mt. Southland.
STANLEY' BAY. in Auckland Harbour. Ferry steamers frequently from Auckland.
STANLEY BROOK, Nelson. 40 miles south-west from Nelson. Rail to Wakefield, thence coach 20 miles (4s); in Waimea County. A sheep and grain-growing district, with a library, and has good roads. Has post and telephone offire, and good boarding. Mails Tuesday. Thursday, and Saturday. Good fishing, also deer stalking and shooting. Named after late John Stanley, who discovered a brook in the vicinity—hence Stanley Brook. Dr at Tapawere, 6 m.
STANLEY POINT. Near Devonport, Auckland.
STANLEY ROAD, Taranaki. 31 miles south-east from New Plymouth. Rail to Midhirst, thence hire 4 miles. Stratford County Post office.
STANWAY, Wellington. 112 miles from Wellington. Bail to Halcombe. then walk five miles ; in Orotia County. A district of settlers and farmers, with fair roads. Is four miles from Rangitikei River. Good shooting obtainable. Post and telegraph office. Doctor at Feilding, 12 m.
STAPP MT. (5567ft.). In Southern Alps.
STARBOROUGH. Special settlement. South bank of Awatere River. Post office, Seddon. A Government plantation here.
STARVATION GULLY. Near Porter's Pah.
STATE COLLIERIES. A railway station five miles from Greymouth, on the Greymouth-State Collieries line. Post and telephone office.
STATE FARM. Near Levin.
STAVELEY, Canterbury. 83 m S.W. from Christchurch. Rail to Springburn, then daily coach 2 miles. In Ashburton County. Has sawmills. Good roads (level), and is fire miles from Mount Somers. Good trout fishing. Dairying industry. Called after Robert Staveby. who first took up a small run here. Post and telegraph office. Nearest doctor, Methven, 14 miles.
STEEPFACE RANGE (6152ft.). South of Rakaia.
STEEP HEAD. Le Bon's Bay.
STEEPLES. Chain of rocks at Cape Foulwind.
STEEPLE ROCK (the Pinnacle). Off Worser Bay, Wellington.
STEPHEN'S ISLAND. See French Pass. This island is connected with D'Urville Island by telephone and cable with Elmslie Bay, which enables Wellington to receive four hours notice of the arrival of steamers. Was named by Captain Cook on March 31, 1770. after secretary of the Admiralty Board. It is 2 miles north-east of D’Urville Island, and has a lighthouse.
STEPHENSON'S ISLAND. Whangaroa Harbour.
STERLING POINT. See Bluff.
STEVENTON CREEK. Tributary of Selwyn River, near Whitecliffs.
STEWART ISLAND. The most southern of the three islands of coast line. The island was purchased from the Maoris by deed on June 29. 1864. It is very mountainous, but has grand and beautiful scenery. There are only 288 inhabitants on it, but there are two townships and a post office (see Half-moon Bay.) Sea fishing is the chief occupation of the settlers. Lee Bay here is the final landing place of the N.Z. telegraph wire, and is the most southern cable station in the world. Named after Capt. Dugald Stuart, of the schooner Prince of Denmark, who sailed round, proving it to be an island, in year 1808. Maori name Raki-uru, meaning "heavenly glow," which refers to the bright clear sunset characteristic of this locality. The highest peak of the mountains here is Mt. Anglem (3200ft), an extinct volcano. James Caddel, the memorable pakeha Maori, was the first European in land on Stewart Island, and was known as the white chief. Stewart Island was formally taken possession of for Great Britain on June 5, 1840, by Major Thomas Bunbury, 80th Regiment, but the Maoris held the land by occupation until paid for in 1864.
STEWART MT. (3081ft.). Near Waiau, Canterbury.
STEWART MT. Near Awahuri. Wellington.
STICKING POINT. Near Godley Head.
STILLWATER, Westland. Nine miles north-east by rail from Greymouth. In Grey County. Post, money order, and telegraph office. Coal, timber, and gold mining. North Brunner Coal Co. have erected large bins, bridged liver, and run a rope road to main seam on Paparoa Range. Victory and Julian gold mining lease, upon which a five-head battery is running, is about half hour's walk from post office. Junction of Greymouth, Otira. and Reefton railway lines. Doctor at Brunnerton, 1 ½ m.
STILLWATER CREEK. 4 m north of Reefton and tributary of Grey River.
STIRLING, Otago. A dairy-farming township and district, 50 miles south by rail from Dunedin, on Clutha River. Good trout fishing near. Cycle roads good in summer only. Private board. Post, telegraph, and money order office. Kaitangata railway joins main trunk line here. The first settler, Mr. Archibald Anderson, of the Hermitage, came from Stirling, Scotland, and so gave the name. Nearest doctor at Balclutha, 3 miles.
STIRLING FARM. Near Eketahuna
STIRLING POINT. Bluff pilot station, named after Captain Stirling, a whaler.
STOCKADE HILL. Near Howick.
STOKE, Canterbury. 28 miles by rail from Christchurch, on the Christchurch-Oxford line.
STOKE, Nelson. On Blind or Tasman Bay, four miles south by rail from Nelson, and centre of hop-growing, sheep, and fruit district. Good sea fishing; good game and rabbit shooting on Rabbit Island, also deer and goats on back ranges about four hours from here. Splendid cycling roads (the best in the colony), being straight, level, and long stretches. Roman Catholic school and orphanage. One hotel, post and telegraph office. So called by Mr. William Singer, the first settler, after the town of Stoke, near Colchester, in Essex, his birthplace. Tliis site was named Brook Green by first European settlers.
STORK'S MT. (10,090ft.) In Southern Alps.
STOKE'S POINT. Auckland Harbour.
STOKE'S VALLEY. Has a post office; is in branch valley off the road between Upper and Lower Hutt. Rail to Lower Hutt from Wellington, then bus to Taita, 4 m, which is nearest telegraph office, thence 3 miles. No boarding house. On Silverstream River. Good cycling roads. Doctor at Lower Hntt, 7 m.
STONEBURN, Otago. 55 miles north from Dunodin. Rail to Dunback. thence five miles by road. Healthy climate; situated on a high level. Farming. Quartz crushing and rabbit trapping chief industries. Mail service bi-weekly; telegraph office at Dunback. In Waihemo County, on Stoneburn River. Named from stony nature of the place. Doctor at Palmerston, 14 miles.
STONE PEAK MT. (7224ft.). In Richardson's Mountains.
STONEY BAY. Port Charles.
STONEY KNOB. 3 m north of Te Awaite.
STONY BAY WEST. See Okains Bav.
STONY CREEK. See Palmerston North.
STONY CREEK. Tributary of Saltwater Creek, Ashley district.
STONY CREEK, Otago. 58 miles south-west from Dunedin, on main road. By rail to Balclutha, then walk four miles ; in Brace County. A small farming district, with fair roads around. Five miles from Stirling. Named from a small pebbly creek running here into the Puakitote Lake. Nearest doctor, Balclutha, 4 m. Post office; but nearest telegraph office is Bishops (3 ½ m), or Balclutha (4 m).
STONY HILL, near Mangawai.
STONY (or HANGATAHUA) RIVER. See Okato.
STOUR RIVER. Upper Ashburton district.
STOURFIELDS, near Clent Hills, Mt. Somers.
STRACHAN'S, Otago. Railway siding 38 milns from Oamaru, on the Oaniaru-Hakataramea line. Otiake is the name of post office, which see. Named after Wm. Strachan, a farmer here.
STRACHANS PEAK. On Blenheim-Picton road.
STRATHEARN. Suburb of South Invercargill.
STRATFORD, Taranaki. A thriving borough on Patea River, in the centre of an extensive dairying district; 30 miles south by rail from New Plymouth. Coach to Cardiff, Rowan, and Kaponga daily, 3.30 p.m. Stratford-Ongaruhe road—main road to Auckland— starts from here. Rabbit, pheasant, hare, and duck shooting close to town; trout and salmon trout in Patea River and streams. Mount Egmont, four miles away, which see; also see Manaia. Roads fairly good for cycling. Five good hotels, with equally good complement of private and public boarding houses. All churches represented. High, technical, and public schools. Daily newspaper (evening); five banks (N.Z., Australasia, Union, N.S.W., and Nat.); two clubs; resident doctors. Post, telegraph, money order, and savings bank offices, etc. Half holiday held on Thursday. Situation about 1000ft above sea level
Climate bracing, but somewhat moist. Population, 2637, and increasing fast. Country close to township cut up with small holdings of 100 to 300 acres for dairying, while larger holdings of from 500 to 4000 acres are retained for sheep and cattle farming, for which the country is eminently suitable. Stratford-Ongaruhe railway, connecting with Main Trunk line at Ongaruhe, opened to Te Wera, 25 m. Surveyed by T. Humphries, then Commissioner of Lands, and named by him after the birthplace of Shakespeare, Eng., the custom then being to name places after great men or their birthplaces. Host of the streets are named after characters in Shakespeare's works.
STRATHMORE, Taranaki. 51 miles south-east from New Plymouth. By rail to Te Wera, thence daily coach 3 m. In Stratford County. A district of small settlers. Post office and telephone. Doctor at Stratford. 20 m.
STRATH TAIERI. An extensive plain and farming district in Central Otago. (See Middlemarch.)
STREAM LANDS. 46 miles north from Auckland. Steamer daily to Warkworth, thence coach 3 m (Mon., Wed., Thurs., Sat.); or rail to Kaipara Flats, thence coach 5 m (3s). Named after property of J. H. Hudson (1907); formerly called Dome Valley, as it lies at the foot of Dome Hill and drained by Waihi or Mahurangi River, and is also the head waters of Kourawhero River, a branch of Hoteo River falling into the Kaipara. A purely agricultural and horticultural district, consisting of two beautiful valleys. Post and telephone office. Nearest doctor at Warkworth.
STRONVAR, Wellington. 98 miles from Wellington. Rail to Masterton, thence weekly coach. Situated about eight miles from sea const. Mail service weekly. Telegraph office at Taueru, 18 miles distant. Excellent fishing and shooting, and deer stalking. Named after Stronvar in .Scotland. Dr. at Masterton. 27 m.
STROWAN. Part of Bryndwr, a suburb of Christchurch.
STUDHOLME JUNCTION, Canterbury. 24 miles south by by rail from Timaru : in Waimate County; with a post, telegraph, and money order office and savings bank. Is the starting place of railway to Waimate from main line, and a farming district, with good level roads. Named after the late Mr Michael Studholme, one of the o.'ir'ifst settlers Nearest doctor at Waimate, 5 m.
STUMPS, near Clandeboye.
STYX, Canterbury. Seven miles north by rail from Christchurch. In Waimairi County. An old settled fruitgrowing and farmers' district. Is on river Styx, has an apple company, and post office; with good level roads all round, but there is no private boarding or hotel. Dr. at Papanui. 2 m.
SUGAR LOAF, Portobello.
SUGAR LOAF. Peak near Matokana.
SUGAR LOAF. Near Taylor Pass, 7 m south of Blenheim.
SUGAR LOAF ISLETS, In Port Abercrombie, highest is 162ft.
SUGAR LOAF ROCKS. Off Port Charles.
SUGAR LOAVES. Islands in Colville Channel, Hauraki Gulf.
SUGAR LOAVES (Ngamotu). At Moturoa, New Plymouth.
SULPHUR POINT. Close to Tauranga.
SUMMERHILL. See Cust.
SUMMERLEA, Canterbury Telegraph office only.
SUMMERLEAS. See Coal Creek.
SUMMIT. A railway station 36 miles from Wellington by rail. Highest point on Rimutaka Range. See Cross Creek for postal town.
SUMMER, Canterbury. A seaside residential suburb of Christchurch and a borough; in Sumner Valley, on the ocean, eight miles from Christclmrch by frequent tram service, and five miles from Lyttelton. It is celebrated for its natural beauties and for its extremely mild climate, which makes it a great resort, for invalids. The Deaf Mute School is located here, and maintained at Government expense (see Educational). The roads are beautiful for cyclists, and it is a run much ueed by them. Tea rooms, boarding houses, and hotels, at moderate tariffs and post and telegraph office. Sumner was named after the then Archbishop of Canterbury (Dr Sumner) in 1850.
SUMNER LAKE, Waikari district.
SUNDAY ISLAND. See Kermadec Islands.
SUNNYSIDE. Near Christchurch. Site of Mental Hospital.
SURFACE HILL. See St. Bathans.
SURREY HILLS. Mount Somers.
SUTHERLAND'S, Canterbury. 17 miles north by rail from Timaru; in Geraldine County. A farming locality, with level roads. but no township. Is on the Tengawai River. Trout fishing and duck shooting. Named after the first resident. Post and Post and telephone. Doctor at Pleasant Point. 5m
SUTHERLAND FALLS. See Milford Sound and Te Anau.
SUTTON, Otago. 44 miles from Pnnedin by rail, on Otago Central line. Situated on the Sutton River. Farming and mining. Trout fishing plentiful ; shooting good. Mail service daily. Nearest telegraph office is at Middlemarch. four miles distant. Is close to the Taieri River. Beautiful waterfalls near, and patches of native bush. Good-sized salt lake, frequented by black swans. Named after an early settler. Teleph. and P. O. Dr. at Middlemarch. 4 m.
SUWARROW. One of the annexed Pacific Islands, 530 miles iron. Rarotonga. Its value lies chiefly in its lagoon, however, the land area being vny small. The lagoon is from eight to ten miles long, and about eight miles across at the widest part, and it makes a splendid harbour, having an entrance sufficiently deep to admit vessels drawing up to 20ft of water. The island (says the "Year Book") is under lease to Lever's Pacific Plantations (Limited) “for the purpose of removing guano or other fertilising substances therefrom, and of planting the land with cocoanuts. and for collecting pearl-shells, and for other purposes of a like nature." A portion of one of the reef islets, known as Anchorage Island, is vested in the Lords Commisioners of the Admiralty as a reserve for naval purposes.
SWANNANOA, Canterbury. 24 miles north-west by rail from Christchurch; in Ashley County. A sheep-rearing and grain-growing district, possessing good and level roads, but no township. It was known formerly by the name of Mandeville, also where the school is. one mile off. Hare shooting. Named by first settler after a river in America. Post and telegraph office. Nearest doctor Rangiora. 9 m.
SWANSON, Auckland. A favourite summer resort, 15 miles west by train from Auckland. The starting point for the Waitakeri Falls (375ft high), cascades, kauri bush, and west coast lakes, and ocean beach. Good shooting ; cycle roads good in summer, but bad in winter. Private board. 5« clay. A post and telephone office. In Eden and Waitemata Counties. Kauri gum digging, sawmilling, and farming district. Named after late Hon. William Swanson. who hail a sawmill here in the early days. Large waterworks are erected close to thie place. Telephone. Doctor at Avondale.
SWIFT CREEK. See Heriot,
SWINBURN. See Mormon's.
SWIPER'S GULLY. See Ross.
SWITZERS. The old name in first mining days of what is now known as Waikaia. which see.
SWYNCOMBE, North Canterbury. Telegraph office. Is 10 m went of Kaikoura.
SY DEN HAM, Canterbury. The continuation of Christchurch City, on the south side to the foot of the Port Hills. Connected with the citv bv electric trains. Post, money order, and telegraph office.
SYLVAN LAKE. In bush near Dart River, Southland.
SYMMETRY PEAK MOUNT (6224ft), near Kingston.
SYNAGOGUE HILL. Mararetu. on Atara Ranges.